A few weeks ago I made some beach-inspired (and delicious!) Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing. In that post, I commented on the versatility of these cookies. You can vary shapes, flavors, and decoration to the seasons and your every mood. In honor of National Sugar Cookie Day, I decided to make a variation of my original recipe using buttercream instead of royal icing. These Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies with Vanilla Bean Buttercream are over-the-top rich…in a good way.
These cookies are simple and delicious. They’re sweet and buttery, with flecks of vanilla bean throughout both the cookies and the buttercream. The cookie recipe (which you can find in my original post here) made 3 dozen 3″ round cookies, which I topped swirls of pink and coral buttercream to resemble roses.
I added the fondant leaves because I have a complete inability to leave well enough alone. The leaves aren’t really practical for storage/transport of the cookies, but they’re pretty.
The buttercream recipe calls for vanilla bean paste. I love the flavor and the lovely black flecks it leaves in the buttercream! If you don’t have vanilla bean paste, you can use one vanilla bean, or you can substitute vanilla extract. If you’d like to purchase vanilla bean paste, you can find it [here].
You can decorate the cookies with the buttercream however you like. Spreading it on with a knife for a more rustic look is totally acceptable. If you’d like to achieve the look of these swirled roses, you’ll need a 1M piping tip (like this one [here]).
I love how you can change one aspect of a recipe and end up with something entirely different. It’s fun to play with your food. 😀
Other posts you may like:
Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies with Vanilla Bean Buttercream
Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies
- 1 recipe Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies (see note)
Vanilla Bean Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste (see note)
- Prepare one recipe Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies (recipe in original post...see recipe notes for link). Allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add sifted powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Add vanilla bean paste (see note), and beat to combine.
- Decorate sugar cookies with buttercream as desired (see note).Enjoy!