It’s hot, and I don’t like it. Buuuuut, I do like chocolate. So, I have for you today: No Bake Chocolate, Coconut, and Almond Tart. You don’t have to turn on your oven, it’s delicious, and it’s even gluten free!
We just returned from vacation, so I’m getting back into my usual routine of destroying the kitchen/cleaning it/repeat. On said vacation, we were in northern Michigan where the summer weather is just *perfect*.
Now that we’ve returned to Texas, where the summer weather is an assault on your will to live, my focus is on staying as cool as possible. I’d also like to avoid needing a second mortgage to afford the electric bill, so I guess leaving the oven off and making some no-bake treats is in my best interests.
This no-bake tart is seriously easy. The crust is made in the food processor with only three ingredients: almonds, coconut, and honey. It comes together quickly and easily and requires no baking, just chilling. The chocolate filling is just a ganache, and is whipped up in less than 10 minutes.
The hard part is waiting for it to set enough to be cut, about 3 hours. Although the tart needs to be chilled to set, I suggest taking the tart out of the refrigerator 10-20 minutes before serving to make sure the filling is creamy and not too firm.
The added bonus is that this tart is *gluten free*! This isn’t something that I focus on much, but I know in many households it’s a necessity!
One thing to note is that you want to use dried (desiccated) coconut and not regular shredded coconut in the crust. Regular coconut will make the crust too sweet, and you’ll likely have a hard time getting it to stay together. If you can’t find desiccated coconut in your local grocery store, you can find it [here].
As far as hardware goes, I used a 9″ tart pan with a removable bottom. If you’d like to purchase one for yourself, you can find one [here].
I chose to top the tart with fresh berries and finely chopped almonds. I’m sure the tart is delicious topped with fresh whipped cream, too. The lace pictured is my first attempt at making edible lace, which was a fun project for me. Hopefully you’ll see more of that from me in the future. 🙂
There you go. No-Bake Chocolate, Coconut, and Almond Tart. A recipe that’s quick (to prepare, anyway), easy, and doesn’t require your oven. Even in the heat of summer, you can still have a delicious dessert! I’m going to go sit near one of our AC vents with a slice of this baby. 😀
Other posts you may like:
Crust recipe adapted from The Bojon Gourmet (link here). Chocolate filling adapted from Pretty Simple Sweet (link here).
No-Bake Chocolate, Coconut, and Almond Tart
Coconut Almond Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds (or 1 1/8 cups whole almonds)
- 1/2 cup dried (desiccated) coconut (see note)
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or chocolate of your choice; I used 60%)
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1/2 stick)
- fresh berries
- sliced and/or chopped almonds
- Combine almonds and coconut in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground.
- Drizzle in honey, then pulse until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch tart pan with removeable bottom (see note). Press the crust into bottom and up the sides of the pan. Place the crust in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the ganache.
- Place chopped chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Combine cream and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat just until the cream starts to bubble around the edges.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate, and let sit for five minutes.
- After letting it sit, whisk the ganache until it is smooth and glossy. Pour into prepared crust and return to the refrigerator to set, about three hours.
- Top the tart with fresh berries and finely chopped almonds and almond slices, if desired. Topping the tart with fresh whipped cream would also be delicious!Remove from refrigerator 10-20 minutes before serving so that the ganache is creamy and not too firm.Enjoy!