Sometimes, you just need a little chocolate...and sometimes, just a little chocolate won't do. Maybe your toddler is being extra toddler-y, and your tweens have been expressing a little extra tween angst. Hypothetically, of course. It's at those times that you need ALL the chocolate. My friend, that's when you need these Death by Chocolate Cupcakes.
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes! Because: Holy. Chocolate. Batman. You will feel like you died and went to heaven. And, I mean, there are worse ways to go, right? 😉 These beautiful little gems are dark chocolate cupcakes filled with dark chocolate ganache, topped with the deepest, darkest chocolate cream cheese frosting you've ever seen!
For the Best Dark Chocolate Cupcakes!
There are a few secret weapons in our baking arsenal for the BEST dark chocolate cupcakes!
- Black cocoa powder gives these cupcakes their deep, dark chocolate color and flavor. It's just heavily dutched cocoa for the darkest chocolate flavor (think Oreos). If you can't find black cocoa in your local grocery store, you can find it here. You can use regular dutch-process cocoa to substitute, but it won't be as dark or flavorful!
- I highly recommend using chocolate extract in the recipe! This (often overlooked) extract lends an amazing depth of flavor to chocolate baked goods! If you can’t find it in your local grocery store, you can find some here. Even better, makes yourself some Homemade Chocolate Extract for next time!
- There's also coffee in this cake batter! The cake won't taste like coffee, I swear. The coffee enhances the chocolate flavor, and I highly recommend it! If you would prefer not to use coffee, you can use hot water instead.
That Chocolate Ganache Filling, Tho...
I mean, if I'm going to call them Death by Chocolate Cupcakes, we gotta have ALL the chocolate, amirite?? As such, I filled each cupcake with a dark chocolate ganache for a fun surprise in the center! You could choose to skip this step if you'd like...though for the life of me I can't fathom why you would! 😉
Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
This cream cheese frosting is the darkest, chocolatiest, dreamiest frosting ever!! With both melted (and cooled!) chocolate and *even more* black cocoa, you really can't go wrong!! You might want to make a double batch so you can just eat the extra frosting with a spoon!
So the next time you need some chocolate in your life (like every day...?), don't settle for just anything. Head to your kitchen and make these Death by Chocolate Cupcakes. I'm sure there are those that will say that using (loads of) chocolate as a coping mechanism isn't healthy. Don't be friends with those people. 😉
Other posts you may like:
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes:
Dark Chocolate Ganache:
- 3 oz dark chocolate chips (I used 72% cacao)
- 2 tablespoon heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- pinch salt
Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease cupcake pan or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder [see note], baking soda, and salt). Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, allowing the first egg to incorporate before adding the second. Add vanilla and chocolate extracts (see note). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add half the dry ingredients, followed by the sour cream, then the remaining dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Add coffee and mix to combine.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups, filling each about ¾ full. Bake 16-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine all ganache ingredients. Microwave on 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth. Allow ganache to cool to room temperature.
- Using a small knife, cut a core from the center of each cupcake and fill with ganache. Cut the bottom off of each core so that just the top surface remains. Place this piece of the core back on top of the ganache to cover.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and cream cheese. Mix until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate and mix to combine. Add vanilla and chocolate extracts (see note). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Mix until combined. Frost each ganache-filled cupcake.Enjoy!