Nothing screams PARTY! quite like Confetti Cupcakes. I’ve seen confetti/funfetti treats everywhere lately. Cakes, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, scones…you name it! When I discovered adorable birthday cake graham bunnies (and so close to Easter!), I knew what I had to do!
These Confetti Cupcakes are tender vanilla cakes filled with rainbow sprinkles, topped with strawberry-vanilla buttercream! (And then more sprinkles. And then super cute bunny grahams.) These babies are perfect for Easter or a celebration…even if you’re just celebrating that you have cupcakes! 😉
The cupcake recipe calls for using cake flour, and I highly recommend using it! The cake flour helps lend these cupcakes their super fluffy, tender texture. If you’re in a pinch, you can use all-purpose flour, but the cupcakes won’t have such a light texture.
If the thought of strawberry-vanilla buttercream made you stop dead in your tracks, then I think we’ll be great friends. I used strawberry puree and vanilla bean paste to flavor (and color!) the buttercream. This flavor combo is AWESOME. I love the flavor of vanilla bean paste and the lovely black flecks it leaves in the buttercream! If you don’t have vanilla bean paste, you can use one vanilla bean, or you can substitute vanilla extract. If you’d like to purchase vanilla bean paste, you can find it [here].
I can’t wait to celebrate life with these cupcakes again. 😀
Other posts you may like:
Vanilla Confetti Cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (see note)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature (full fat)
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 Tbsp strawberry puree (from about 1/8 lb. strawberries)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste (see note)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp heavy (whipping) cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (cake flour [see note], baking powder, baking soda, and salt) and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add egg whites and vanilla extract. Mix to combine, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add sour cream and beat to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if needed.
- With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Then add the milk, and mix until combined.
- Add sprinkles, and fold into the batter with a spatula. Divide the batter among the lined cupcake pans (filling each well about 2/3 full).
- Bake 19-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the strawberry puree, process strawberries in a food processor until smooth. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the seeds and pulp from the puree. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Add the vanilla bean paste, cream, and strawberry puree. Mix until thoroughly combined. Spread or pipe buttercream on top of cupcakes.Enjoy!