Just another day in quarantine! This recipe for Funfetti Wacky Cake is perfect for celebrating Easter withouot dipping into your dairy rations!
While things have been getting better as far as grocery availability lately (at least in my neck of the woods), some ingredients are still scarce out there. My son had a “virtual learning” assignment for an egg drop challenge this week, and the teacher had to send an email to parents saying they didn’t have to do it because everyone freaked out about using/wasting eggs!
I was keeping this in mind, and thinking of Easter coming up, and I decided another wacky cake was definitely the way to go! (You can find my chocolate Wacky Cake recipe [here].)
This Funfetti Wacky Cake uses no milk, eggs, or butter. The result is so moist and flavorful! I used coconut sugar, which is why my cake has a golden color to it. You can use regular granulated sugar if you’d like, the cake will be lighter in color (but it will actually be easier to see all the sprinkles that way). You will have to part with one stick of butter if you want to make the vanilla buttercream. If you’d rather not, the cake is still delicious with a dusting of powdered sugar!
The vanilla is the only flavor to this cake and the buttercream, so I went for the added flavor punch of using vanilla bean paste. Plus you know it’s my fave ingredient. If you’re looking to get some for yourself, you can find it [here]. You can also substitute an equal measure of vanilla extract.
I hope that you are all healthy and safe! I look forward to the day that I don’t have to tailor my recipes to quarantines and food shortages. For now, I hope that these recipes are helping brighten your days and find a sense of normalcy!!
Other posts you may like:
Recipe adapted from Wife Mama Foodie (link here).
Funfetti Wacky Cake
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar or coconut sugar (I used coconut sugar, hence the golden color of the cake!)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (see note)
- ⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles (optional, but why not?)
Vanilla Bean Buttercream (see note):
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (one stick)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (see note)
- 1-3 tsp milk or water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8" x 8" pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). Add the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla bean paste (see note). Mix until just combined. Fold in sprinkles.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For Buttercream (see note):
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Add vanilla bean paste (see note) and mix to combine. Add milk or water one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Frost the cooled cake with the buttercream, topping with more sprinkles, if desired.Enjoy!