Happy New Year! You know me…I’m usually throwing something crazy together in the kitchen. Something ridiculously decadent. In honor of the new year, though, something a little simpler (but no less tasty): Honey Ginger Pear Muffins.
These Honey Ginger Pear Muffins are delicious! The recipe uses both grated and diced pear for flavor and texture, along with the sweetness of honey and the spiciness of crystallized ginger. They’re not fussy (you don’t even need a mixer!) and are relatively healthy. After the year we just had and ALL the things that you’ve been eating (just me?), I figured we could use something simple!
This recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour, also sometimes called “graham flour.” I like the flavor that it lends, and it’s a little healthier. I have some suggested substitutions in the recipe notes if you don’t have any on-hand. If you’re looking for whole wheat pastry flour, you can find it [here].
I love the crystallized ginger in this recipe! It’s sweet and spicy and adds fantastic texture! I chop mine fairly small, both to better distribute the flavor throughout the muffins and to make sure it doesn’t overwhelm an individual bite. I would have sprinkled more on top, but I don’t think my kiddos would have eaten them with the added spiciness. If you’re looking for crystallized ginger, you can find it [here].
These little gems are something to get out of bed for in the morning! And, if you’re like me, a bribe of baked goods in the kitchen always makes getting up a little easier! 😉
You may also like:
Adapted from Fannetastic Food (link here).
Honey Ginger Pear Muffins
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour (see note)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup grated pear
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 cup diced pear
- ¼ cup chopped crystallized ginger (see note; plus more for sprinkling on top, if desired)
- raw sugar, for sprinkling (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour [see note], baking powder, baking soda, spices, & salt). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the grated pear, honey, sour cream (or greek yogurt), egg, melted butter, and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Use a spoon or silicone spatula to mix just until moistened.
- Add the diced pear and crystallized ginger, then stir just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with raw sugar and additional chopped crystallized ginger, if desired. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.Enjoy!