I am notorious for rarely baking the same thing twice. I’m easily distracted by the next new, delectable flavor combination. These Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins are a different story. I’ve baked these babies more than anything else in my kitchen! They’re a quick, easy breakfast, and my family is always asking for more!
These Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins are the only breakfast that’s made at my house more often than my (The Best Ever) Banana Bread. They’re an old standby, the breakfast most-requested by my kids. While they complain if I make banana bread too often, I *never* hear complaints about these muffins!
So What Makes These Muffins so Special?
These are a basic chocolate chip muffin, an adaptation of the ones my Mom made when I was growing up. The recipe has one simple upgrade: buttermilk. The buttermilk keeps these little gems moist and lends them an incredibly tender texture. While I think the buttermilk is essential, it’s not really a deal-breaker if you don’t have it on-hand. Check out the recipe notes for a quick substitution!
Pro tip: for *really* tender muffins, try substituting the buttermilk with kefir! I was blown away by how soft they turned out! <3
To complement the soft texture of the muffins, I add a sprinkle of raw sugar to the top of each muffin before baking. This adds a sweet, crunchy crust on top. It’s irresistible! I save it for last, but of course my kiddos eat the tops first!
Try These Flavor Variations!
We think that these Buttermilk Chocolate Chip muffins are pretty perfect, but the batter makes a terrific base recipe for other flavors, too! Sometimes I’ll change it up and make blueberry muffins in the summer months or apple-cinnamon muffins in the fall. Check out the recipe notes for how to adapt the recipe for these flavor variations!
Perhaps the best thing about these muffins–aside from the taste–is how easy they are! These babies mix up quickly, no mixer required! They’re perfect for getting the kiddos involved in the kitchen. I hope you make these soon, and that you love them as much as we do!
Other posts you may like:
Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins
Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (1 stick)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- raw sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 385° F. Grease a standard-size muffin pan or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt). Stir to combine.
- Add melted butter, eggs, and buttermilk. Stir to combine. Just before combined, add the mini chocolate chips (adding them before the mixture is completely combined helps to keep them from sinking to the bottom during baking). Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar, if desired.
- Divide the batter evenly into 18 standard-size muffins (each will be about 3/4 full). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes.°Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear all about it! Leave a review below, then snap a pic and tag me on Instagram!