In the "doughnuts" versus "donuts" debate, I fall squarely on the "doughnut" side of the fence. I thought I'd get that bit of information out of the way up front. 😉 It's harder to type "doughnut," though, so I did briefly consider ditching it for ease of writing this post. 😀 I would imagine that most people don't care how you spell doughnuts, but they DO care about eating them! These Strawberry Powdered Sugar Doughnuts are a twist on a classic, and a great way to start your day!
These beauties are tender vanilla bean cake doughnuts, baked until just golden. Then, while they're still warm, they're coated with strawberry powdered sugar! <3 Powdered sugar doughnuts were always my favorite as a kid. While I can't still say that now, this strawberry spin on the OG powdered sugar doughnut is amazing!
I was 5/5 for my family liking these little babies, so they're being added into the breakfast rotation. Huge bonus: they mix up in one bowl and only take about 20 minutes start-to-finish!
Make sure to use *freeze-dried* strawberries in the powdered sugar, as they are free of moisture and will help you avoid the mixture clumping and/or dissolving. If you can't find them at your local grocery store, they are available online [here].
I used vanilla bean paste in the doughnuts. I love the flavor and the lovely black flecks it leaves in the cake! If you don't have vanilla bean paste, you can use one vanilla bean, or you can substitute vanilla extract. If you'd like to purchase vanilla bean paste, you can find it [here].
I have two different doughnut pans, and the one that I used for this recipe FAR surpasses the other! The wells are a nice size so you don't end up with skimpy doughnuts. The centers are also tall enough that you don't end up with the holes closing up on you as you bake. If you're looking to buy a doughnut pan, this is the one: link [here]!
Try this recipe sometime soon! They're easy, delicious, and have great strawberry flavor year-round (no matter how you spell doughnut)! 😀
Other posts you may like:
Doughnut recipe adapted from King Arthur Baking (link here).
Strawberry Powdered Sugar Doughnuts
Strawberry Powdered Sugar:
- 1 oz freeze-dried strawberries (see note)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For Powdered Sugar:
- Place freeze-dried strawberries and powdered sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture turns into a fine powder. Pour strawberry powdered sugar into a large (gallon-size) zip-top bag. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease doughnut pan(s) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, oil, and sugars. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs and whisk to combine. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla bean paste (see note). Whisk to combine.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture, and whisk until just incorporated. Add half the milk, and whisk until smooth. Continue this process (second ⅓ of the flour mixture, last ½ milk, last ⅓ of the flour mixture) until all ingredients are combined and smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan(s) nearly to the top (about ¼" below the rim). I use a large Ziploc bag with the corner cut to save time and avoid a mess.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until slightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for five minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Place the warm doughnuts, 1-2 at a time, into the bag of strawberry powdered sugar and shake to coat. Serve immediately. If you'd to store the doughnuts and serve later, the sugar will melt, but you can re-coat the doughnuts just before serving.Enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate.