Hey! It's me! I didn't forget about the blog, I swear. Or baking. I've been tied up with this whole moving-across-the-country-amid-a-global-pandemic thing. Now we're FINALLY HOME in Michigan!! That said...we're still not in our *own* home and I have no kitchen (she says, trying to calm the panic in her brain). I did make a few delicious recipes before we left Texas that I haven't shared yet. I just couldn't let peach season pass us by without telling you about these Peach Streusel Scones!
These Peach Streusel Scones are rich, tender, and soooo flavorful! Filled with fresh peaches, topped with the crunch of brown sugar streusel, and drizzled with a vanilla bean glaze, they make one mighty fine breakfast! Or eat them anytime, really. I mean, 2020 seems to be when we throw all the rules out, right? 😉
The predominant flavors in these scones are peaches (of course) and brown sugar, but they also get an extra punch of flavor from vanilla bean paste in both the dough and the glaze. You know me...it's in everything. And for good reason--sooo delicious! You can find vanilla bean paste online [here], or substitute an equal measure of vanilla extract if you prefer.
This recipe was originally going to be plain scones, but I got swept up in the idea of adding streusel at the last moment. The streusel, while super delish, will make a mess out of your baking sheet. You'll definitely want to line the pan to help yourself out with cleanup later. I like baking the scones on a silpat because they can be used over and over again and are super easy to clean. If you're interested in getting one for yourself, you can find one [here].
The only other "special" hardware that I used for this recipe was a pastry blender. While a pastry blender isn't necessary to cut in the butter, it does make the job a lot faster and easier. If you're looking to buy one for yourself, you can find one [here].
I do have a bunch more recipes to share, and hopefully I'll get the up soon! It would be a shame to hold onto my summer recipes until next year...or maybe we just have a "July-at-Christmas" recipe series come December? 😀 Either way, I'll be sure to share all my sweet adventures!
Other posts you may like:
Recipe adapted from A Latte Food (link here).
Peach Streusel Scones
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat (see note) or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the mixture. Using a pastry blender (see note) or two forks, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is pea-sized and smaller. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, heavy cream, sour cream, and vanilla bean paste (see note). Pour over the flour/butter mixture and mix, stopping just before completely combined. Add the diced peaches and gently mix in until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto the prepared pan. Pat the dough into a circle about ½" thick. Cut the round into 8 triangles.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Mix to combine. Add softened butter and mix/cut in until clumps form.
- Brush the tops of the scones with cream, then top with the streusel (it will seem like a lot, but use all of it!). Bake 18-20 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack. You will need to cut again into triangles before serving.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl, mixing until smooth. Spoon over the cooled scones, or pour the glaze into a zip-top bag, cut the corner, and pipe on top of each scone. Allow the glaze to set before serving.Enjoy!