Anyone else doing virtual school right now? Isn’t it SO fun?? I have momentarily reclaimed my computer from my kids so that I can bring you a new recipe! I’m happy to report that this Vanilla Plum Tart is easy AND delicious! A perfect way to ease from Summer into Fall (since the first day of Fall is TOMORROW)!!
This Vanilla Plum Tart is a sweet pastry crust filled with fresh plums and a sprinkle of vanilla sugar. That’s it! Simple, not too sweet, and perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! The plums are the star of the show in this tart, but gimme ALL the vanilla to go with them!!
Vanilla: The Not-So-Secret Ingredient
I love the beautiful vanilla bean flecks in the crust dough *almost* as much as I love the flavor! If you’re looking to buy vanilla bean paste, you can find some here. If you’d rather substitute, you can add an equal measure of vanilla extract instead. The crust comes together easily in a mixer and with a little gentle kneading. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the crust to chill. Don’t forget to keep it cool while you work!
The Right Tart Pan Makes All the Difference!
I used a 9″ tart pan with removable bottom for this recipe. I prefer a pan that is lighter in color (as opposed to the darker, non-stick pans) because the crust browns more slowly. If you’re looking to get a tart pan for yourself, you can buy one here.
I just love, love the use of vanilla sugar in this tart! It pairs beautifully with the plums, and is lovely along with the vanilla bean paste in the crust. I didn’t use much in the tart, because I didn’t want it to be overly sweet (see: perfect paired with ice cream!). If you’d prefer a sweeter tart, you can add more. If you’re looking for vanilla sugar, you can find some here.
So happy last day of summer, everyone! I am SO ready for Fall–and all the flavors that come with it! Can’t wait to share my Fall baking adventures with you!
Other posts you may like:
Pastry crust recipe adapted slightly from Soulful Baker (link here).
Vanilla Plum Tart
Sweet Pastry Crust:
- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and diced (one stick)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (see note)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 Tbsp milk (I used whole milk)
- 4 fresh plums, sliced
- 2 Tbsp vanilla sugar (see note)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour and butter. Mix on low speed until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla bean paste (see note) and mix to combine.
- Add egg yolk and milk. Mix just until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and gently work into a ball. Form the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- After chilling, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about ¼ inch. Line a 9" tart pan with removable bottom (see note) with the dough. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator until ready to assemble tart.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.Pit and slice plums. Place plum slices as desired in the prepared crust. Sprinkle the plums with the vanilla sugar (see note).
- Bake 22-25 minutes, or until crust is golden. Allow tart to cool in the pan before removing it. Serve the tart with vanilla ice cream, if desired.Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear all about it! Leave a review below, then snap a pic and tag me on Instagram!